söndag 27 maj 2012

L and F Martin, Coteaux du Layon 2003

In 2008 I bought three bottles by L. and F. Martin of their Selection de Grains Nobles (botrytis) wine from 2003. It was a nice price for them considering they were five years old at that time. I opened one at once and that was a dissapointment, it just tasted sweet and I felt there was no balance in the wine. So the two remaining bottles went into the wine cellar and there they remained until 2010 when I thought I should try the second bottle. And behold, now the wine had changed. Two years of extra storage had brought on more complexity and now the wine was really good. From what I remeber the colour was golden and the taste was rich with taste of pineapple and rasisins. Very good and at that moment I regretted not buying three more bottles. Maybe these sweet wines from Coteaux du Layon need long storage before getting their act together like the more famous Moulin Touchais. So now I am wondering when to drink the next bottle. Drink this year and get a tasting report two years apart. Wait a couple of more years and hope that it will become even better with age. Any suggestion?
Coteaux du Layon is an AOC (Appellation d'origine contrôlée) for sweet wines in the Loire Valley. And the wines are made from the grape Chenin Blanc. This wine has an alcohol level of 11%. Very low compared to the Sauterness wines.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar