måndag 5 mars 2018

Tamdhu Batch Strength 2

Tamdhu distillery in Speyside, Scotland was founded around 1896 and is owned by Ian Macleod and they only fill their whisky in sherry casks. It is not a famous distillery but their batch strength whisky has gotten good reviews so this whisky has been on my list to try.  The Tamdhu batch strength that I have tried is the batch no2 and has an ABV 58,5%. It has all been aged in sherry casks and from the colour one can see that a lot of first fill sherry casks has been used.

Let's see how it is. In the nose I get a strong sherry with strong spices and and alcohol smell. Considering it is 58,5% one should get some alcohol in the nose.
In the taste I get strong sherry, spices and some oak. Of course an alcohol burn but quite pleasant one. In the aftertaste I get dried fruits and a long spicy warming aftertaste.

Now I add some water to get it down to around ca 48-50% ABV. On the nose I get less alcohol, with lighter sherry with some dried fruits.
In the taste I get sherry, oak, spices and dried fruits, maybe some Christmas cake. It is changing a bit with water to bring out some more spices compared to the original ABV. The aftertaste it is very long with spices, some sherry and vanilla.

An excellent high strength sherry monster. Which can take on different forms depending on how much water one adds. I love this one.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar